“Red is a Neutral” Update
Here’s the update for “Red is a Neutral” with the piecing finished. I made the improvisational blocks individually and then put them together like a jigsaw puzzle. The last block I made was the one on the upper right with the strippy sections. I really liked that effect, but it stood out too much with the rest of the piece, so I randomly added several more sections like it to help the eye move around.
To the left is the beginnings of the quilt on the right, just a pile of strips and leftover blocks next to my sewing machine. It’s loads of fun to see how this raw material turns into something interesting!
I plan to hand quilt this piece, like I have the others in the series, with a small utility stitch and perle cotton. I think it enhances the nature of the piece more than my usual heavy machine quilting would. Stay tuned!